Friday, July 11, 2008

Quick Medical Update

New test results just came in and indicate that I have a ureaplasma infection, which has been known (or not) to lead to miscarriages. I have a strong feeling that this is what it is given that my pregnancy tests were darker when I was on a combination of herbs/vits that are known to help fight the infection, though I was taking them for a cold/flu. It just all makes sense. It took this long to diagnose because the infection is asymptomatic and estimated 50% of the population have it. For most people, it just sits there, but certain strains attach to certain parts in certain people and then cause problems. For example, if it sits in the uterus, there will be miscarriages. But because it is harmless for most people, they don't necessarily test for it or connect it to miscarriages or infertility (that's if the infection sits in the cervix).

We have also fixed our health insurance problems and I am good to go. I will have a fun HSG (hysterosalphinogram - yummy!), blood draw (for STDs - yes, my doctor requires it before they treat me) and a consult with my hematologist to see which of the fertility drugs I can use and under what circumstances. I will have an appointment with dr. Khan (the guy who is responsible for us to get pregnant and whose title is reproductive endocrinologist) a week after that to set up the plan for the following cycle. Which should really be IUI (keep the eggies in, take the best sperm and shoot it as close to the eggies as possible) with clomid (to make the eggies grow) and a trigger (to make the eggie leave the comfy pouch in my ovary). So basically it is like having a controlled and somewhat uncomfortable sex. Minus the good parts of course.

No comments: