Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Slow dancining Anyone?

I remember being fourteen and listening to techno. I also remember my dad complaining about the music and predicting that it will be gone in ten years. Ten (well, more like fourteen, actually) years later techno is still here and just about as popular as it always was, but the one thing I have not heard for a while is a really good slow song. Growing up, there was always Brian Adams' "Please, forgive me," Haddaway's "Miss You", Aerosmith's "Always" or "Crazy," and a ton more. And recently it seems that the only slow song is Rihanna's "Take a Bow." And yes, there is a lot of slow-er songs in the rock, independence, or R&B categories, but no real slow song. And with no slow song, there is no slow dancing either.

Slow dancing pretty much shaped my teenage years. Essentially, my whole life at that point revolved around who I was going (or more often not going) to slow dance with at the weekly parties. There were dreams about being asked to slow dance with a particular love of mine. There was real slow dancing with other guys that evolved (or not) into something else. And yet it has been years since I have heard a good slow song in a club and it has been years since I slow danced last. I have not even slow danced with my husband. True, that might be a blessing since he has no sense of rhytm and he refuses to simply follow, but nevertheless. Maybe I am just not listening to the right radio stations and going to the right clubs. But I remember that when I was young the slow songs regularly made the top 20. Is it that the people are different? Is it that the tastes have changed so much in those few years? Have the romantic girls died out? And is the current generation missing out on something important? The truth be told it almost makes me happy to be as old as I am. I am glad I did not miss out on it.

No comments: