Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Too Early to Adopt - Heart Drama

Yesterday my husband drops me off at work. Fifteen minutes later I get a call from him asking which insurance we have. I tell him mine, and why, please, is he asking. So he tells me he is having some heart palpitations and his hands are tingling. I ask him to go straight to the hospital, where he checks OK (while I am having heart attacks at the office not knowing what the heck is going on). Anyway, I get home and my dear husband tells me that according to his mom, the reason for this is the adoption stress. Now I am lost, because "outsourcing" the babymaking might have been something I'd rather not do, but given our situation it has elevated a lot of (medical) stress from me. However, husband is not happy. He thinks that even though he would welcome his own baby, the right time to adopt is just before turning 40.

Sadly, his wife sees it a bit differently. Eventually, it was me enduring all the poking and proding of endless blood tests (yes, taking 13 huge vials or having more than 1 blood test each week is included), ultrasounds, even having liquids pumped into me to get a better look. I was the one getting pregnant month after month and seeing the tests turn back negative those same months. Eventually, who had to learn to give themselves shots and has woken up every morning for 2 weeks for 4 months to a new shot and some pretty nasty bruises? I am really sorry but I can't wait for a baby until I am 40, not after all I have been through in the last two years, all the hopes destroyed soon after they emerged, all the things that I did for nothing (I am mortally afraid of doctors and needles, so this was not an easy trip for me). I don't mind waiting those two years to adopt. I don't mind never having my own child. But I do mind waiting 12 years...

No comments: